Monday 20 October 2008

Not a record

I love collecting zines. It's not just reading the interviews or reviews that I find so fascinating. I see them as a piece of art, that you know a huge amount of effort has gone into producing it. Someone has spent hours on end cutting and sticking, looking for that perfect image for the front cover. Or going through pages and pages of newspapers looking for that letter, to cut out, to complete a title. I love deconstructing the hierarchy on each page, looking at the actual layout that has been used on each page.

They feel so much more personal and real compared to someone who has thrown a bunch of shit together in photoshop, that they found on google in 5 seconds.

Anyway I saw a copy of the Go It Alone zine called 'Closure' that Mark Palm, the singer, made and sold at their last show. I ended up getting it for £1.50 with no other bids, so I was happy.



It's full of pages and pages of photographs from 2002-2007, there aren't many photos from the earlier years I guess because cameras weren't as popular back then. Each photo has credit to the photographer, the date the photo was taken and usually the location. There a few stories also explaining whats going on in some of the photographs and general stories from various tours etc.

1 comment:

Nab/JSY said...

Damn I need that !!!